ENFORCEMENT OF RESTRICTIVE COVENANTS
(You should have received copies of the Forest West Restrictive Covenants at closing, if you did not contact your realtor or title company. A copy may be printed from www.forestwest.com or to pay a small fee for a convenience copy, see the “Hang Me Up” in this package.)
Below is a summary (not a legal definition) of Forest West deed restrictions. If you are concerned by a violation of these items, you may send a formal complaint to FWCIA at P.O. Box 930681, Houston, TX, 77292. You may print a copy of the Deed Restriction Complaint Form from www.forestwest.com. The FWCIA board will respond in approximately two weeks.
- No lot, other than those specifically designated, shall be used except for residential, single family purposes.
- No building shall be erected, altered, placed, or permitted on any lot until approved in writing by the Architectural Control Committee.
- No fence or wall shall be erected, placed, or altered on any lot nearer to any street that the minimum building setback line.
- No building can be nearer than 25′ to front lot line or 10′ to side street line.
- No building can be nearer than 5′ to an interior lot line.
- A 3′ side yard is OK for a detached garage, 30′ from the front setback line.
- No habitable dwelling can be nearer than 20′ to the rear lot line.
- No porte-cochere can be nearer to the street than the minimum building setback or nearer to a lot line than 5′.
- Walls & roofs of garages, carports & port-cocheres shall be the same material used on wall & roofs of the residence.
- Roofing material must be approved in writing by the Architectural Control Committee (Judgment – Judge Shearn Smith – December 14, 1979).
- The exterior wall of the residence and attached garage shall not be less than 51% masonry or masonry veneer.
- Driveways and public walks must be concrete. Walk ways may be concrete or masonry.
- No noxious/ offensive activity shall be carried on upon any lot. Nothing which may be or may become an annoyance of nuisance shall be permitted.
- No boat, trailer, or truck shall be parked or stored in front of any dwelling for more than 24 hours.
- No repair work, dismantling or assembling of vehicles, machinery or equipment is permitted in any street, front or side yards.
- No structure of temporary character (trailer, basement, tent, shack, garage, barn, servants’ quarters, or other out buildings) may be used on any lot at any time as a residence.
- No sign of any kind, except one sign, not more than 5′ square advertising the property for sale or rent, is allowed.
- No animals, livestock or poultry may be raised, bred or kept. Dogs, cats or other household pets may be kept provided they are not kept, bred or maintained for any commercial purposes. (City code restricts to 3 pets)
GARBAGE AND REFUSE DISPOSAL
- No lot shall be used as a dumping ground. Trash garbage and other waste shall not be kept except in sanitary containers. (Per City code residential automated trash containers must be stored out of public view).
SIGHT DISTANCE AT INTERSECTIONS
- No fence, wall, hedge or shrub which obstructs sight lines between 2′ & 6′ above the roadway is allowed on any corner lot or lot within 10′ from the intersection. Trees are allowed only if foliage line is maintained to prevent obstruction of the sight lines.
- Yards must be maintained, by cutting weeds, maintaining grass and shrubs, so as to prevent unsightly appearances.
- Dead, diseased, or damaged trees which might create a hazard must be promptly removed.
- Lot improvements must be kept at a consistently high level by timely painting, maintenance and repair.
ENFORCEMENT OF CITY ORDINANCE OR CITY CODE
This is neither the responsibility nor duty of the officers serving as volunteers on the Board of Directors for FWCIA. A complete list of Code of Ordinances can be found on the City of Houston Website: www.houstontx.gov under the category “Business”. If you have a complaint covered by these ordinances, you must call 3-1-1 or H.P.D. to report your complaint. Listed below are some common complaints that are handled by the city.
- Junked or inoperable vehicles w/o current license plate / safety inspection must be stored inside a building.
- Inoperable antique or special interest vehicles may be stored outside if correctly screened from public view. Call 3-1-1 or H.P.D.
- Noise level too loud before 7AM or after 10 PM. Call H.P.D. for continuous problems call 3-1-1.
- Heavy Trash put out too early. Automated Container not screened from public view. Call 3-1-1.
- Standing water with possible presence of mosquito larvae. Call 3-1-1.
- Graffiti. Call 3-1-1.
- Placing grass, clippings or other waste in street gutter or storm sewer. Call 3-1-1.
- Illegal Dumping. Call 3-1-1.
- Garbage, rubbish, building materials, inoperable appliances collecting on property. Call 3-1-1.
- Inoperable refrigerator accessible to children. Call 3-1-1.
- Failure to remove dead tree limbs. Call 3-1-1.
- Offensive matter, offensive odor, rat harborage, unapproved tire storage. Call 3-1-1.